Air Emission Licences

Certain activities are listed in terms of the Air Quality Act as requiring an Air Emission Licence (AEL) before they can commence operation. AELs are issued by either the Local or District Municipality, depending on the area where the activity will take place.

Any activity that requires an AEL must undergo a Scoping and EIA process and receive Environmental Authorisation before an AEL can be issued. Both processes can however be run simultaneously.

Do you need an air emission licence?